Home

Benefits

News

Travel

Shop

Finance

Careers

Education

Join the Military

Community
Military Installation Home
Military Installation Home

Browse: by Service Alphabetically by Location mapMap Search Installations: 
  • NAS JRB Willowgrove, PA

  •  Willow Grove, PA
 
 

overviewOverview
Major Unit Listing
Commissary & Exchange
Transportation
Regulations
Government Housing
Must Know Items
Weather

medicalMedical & Dental
Medical Services Directory
Health & TRICARE
Community Hospitals
Dental Services

phone director Phone Directory

educationEducation
Public & DoDDS Schools
Colleges & Universities
Adult & Continuing Education
Special Education

employmentEmployment
Job on Post
Government Employment
Spouse Careers

classifiedsClassifieds

discountsDiscounts

relocationRelocation
Find a REALTOR ®

communityCommunity
Discussion Boards
Chamber of Commerce
Family Center
MWR
Chapel Services
Civic Organizations
Non-Profit Agencies
Social Service Agencies


Overview PRINTPrint this page | Submit Feedback

Family Service Center Building 167 NAS JRB Willow Grove, Pa 19090-5030 (215) 443-6033 Duty, (215) 443-6000 DSN:991

Location........................ : RT 611, North. 30 Miles from Philadelphia.

Major Command................... : COMNAVRESFOR Primary Weapon Systems....... : N/A

Mission......................... : Joint Reserve Training Center

Population assigned-served...... : Active Duty and Reserve Active Duty.................. : 1510 Family Members............... : 5000 Retirees..................... : 20000 Civilian Employees........... : 615 Reserve Component Officers... : 866 Reserve Component Enlisted... : 3875

Telephone Access................ : (215)443-1000

History: The origins of NAS Willow Grove date back to 1926 when aviation pioneer Harold Pitcairn bought a large section of farmland on the west side of Doylestown Pike, which is now Route 611. From 1926 to 1942, Pitcairn developed, tested, built and flew many different aircraft, most notable being the Mailwing and the Autogiro. Pitcairn Aviation, from its early beginnings went on to later become Eastern Airlines. In 1942, to help the nation rise to its defense, Pitcairn sold his flying field to the United States Navy. Some 250 Naval personnel took possession of the field that year bringing along with them 30 N3N biplane trainers known as the "Yellow Peril." In January 1943, the field was officially commissioned the United States Naval Air Station Willow Grove. At its wartime peak, NAS Willow Grove housed tens of thousands of servicemen and woman. Following the end of the war, Willow Grove was designated a reserve training station. In 1957, the Navy purchased additional land bordering the station to bring the area to its present total of 1,200 acres. The Korean and Vietnam wars again brought an increase in operations. Today, the mission of NAS Willow Grove is to provide, train and maintain a ready reserve force. In 1994 the base was redesignated a Joint Reserve Base to more accurately reflect our status. In addition to the Navy, the Marine Corps, Army, Air Force, and Pa National Guard reside here.

Base Operator
(215) 443-6033

Major Units
Naval Training Meteorolgy/Oceanography
PA Air National Guard 111th Fighter Wing

Billeting/Quarters
(215)442-5801/5803

Mailing Address
Fleet and Family Support Center, Bldg. 167
Willow Grove, PA
19090-5030

Driving Directions