Guam is located in the Western Pacific and is the largest and most southern island in the Marianas chain, which consists of Guam, Rota, Aguihan, Tinian, Saipan and ten other islands north of Saipan. Guam is across the International Dateline from mainland United States, and is a three-hour flight from Tokyo, Taipei, and Manila. From Guam it is easy to visit Bali, New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore and many other exotic locations. Guam is known world wide for its diving and beautiful sunsets. See also LOCAL COMMUNITY, Subject Area LOCAL COMMUNITY OVERVIEW.
There are numerous major Navy commands on Guam. They include Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Marianas; Commander, Military Sealift Command; Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit Five; Fleet Imaging Center Pacific, Guam; Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Five; and Mobile Mine Assembly Group Unit Eight, Guam. U.S. Naval commands include Naval Computer and Telecommunications Station; and Special Warfare Unit One. Homeported ship is the USS Frank Cable (AS-40), and forward deployed are the USNS Niagara Falls (T-AFS-3), the USNS San Jose (T-AFS-7), and the USNS Spica (T-AFS-9). Also on island is the U.S. Coast Guard Marianas Section/MSO with its ships, the USCG Galveston Island (WPB 1349) and the USCG Sassafras (WLB 401).
The mission of Commander, U. S. Naval Forces Marianas, Guam, is to provide waterfront, ordnance, and other logistic support to fleet units and operational forces of 5TH and 7TH Fleet and on-island commands.
Guam is home to approximately 6,379 active duty members and 6,360 family members. Guam has a very large population of retired military personnel.
Commercial Telephone Access (671) XXX-XXXX DSN Telephone Access (315) XXX-XXXX Any number that begins with a 3 is accessible through the DSN phone system.
On December 10, 1898, Guam was ceded to the United States from Spain by the Treaty of Paris. The following February, the United States officially took possession of Guam. U.S. Naval Station, Guam, was established August of that year with the entire island designated as Naval Station. The Commanding Officer, Captain Leary was designated as Governor of Guam.
Naval Station controlled Guam until it surrendered to the Japanese December 10, 1941. The island remained under Japanese rule until July 21, 1944, when U.S. forces returned to liberate the island. (This day is now annually celebrated as "Liberation Day.") In 1944, Admiral Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, arrived and defeated the Japanese imperial forces on the island, aiding American efforts to bring the war to a close. From 1944 to 1949 was an era of military government, the officers who served as Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Marianas (COMNAVMARIANAS) were respectively charged with such civil responsibilities as Governor of the Marshalls-Gilberts; Deputy Military Governor, Pacific Ocean Areas; and Deputy Military Governor, Bonin-Volcano Islands.
From 1944 until March 29, 1952, Naval Station served as a naval operations base, providing every type of fleet service. In September 1956, the Naval Base was disestablished and the Naval Station was reassigned under the military command of Commander, U.S. Naval Forces Marianas.
Today, Guam is home to numerous Navy commands supporting the Pacific Fleet. On October 1, 1994, Naval Station and Naval Magazine, Guam, were consolidated into Naval Activities, Guam. On October 9, 1997, Naval Activities was consolidated into Commander, U. S. Naval Forces Marianas, Guam. Despite the name changes, Commander, U. S. Naval Forces Marianas remains a pivotal point of strength and sea power for the western Pacific by playing host to several key tenant commands, as well as serving as the home of submarine tender USS FRANK CABLE. The former Naval Magazine, now known as the Ordnance Annex, is located in the south-central section of the island and occupies an area of 8,800 acres. It is designated as a wildlife refuge and provides support to units of the Pacific Fleet operating in the Western Pacific.