PLEASE NOTE: THE CHARLES MELVIN PRICE SUPPORT CENTER (CMPSC) IS CURRENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF BEING EXCESSED BY THE U.S. ARMY MATERIEL COMMAND. AS THIS ACTION PROGRESSES, FREQUENT CHANGES IN AVAILABLE SERVICES, FACILITIES, AND PERSONNEL WILL OCCUR. PLEASE CONTACT THE RELOCATION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM MANAGER, DEBRA KELLEY, DSN 892-4550 OR 618-452-4550, WITH YOUR SPECIFIC RELOCATION QUESTIONS.
MAILING ADDRESS: U.S. Army, ATTN: Army Community Service (D. Kelley),
1635 First Street, Suite A, Granite City, IL 62040
POINT OF CONTACT: Mrs. Debra Kelley, Relocation Assistance Manager (RAM)
LOCATION: The Charles Melvin Price Support Center (CMPSC) is located 7 miles east of St Louis, Missouri, and the magnificent Gateway Arch, at the intersection of Illinois Route 3 and Neidringhaus Avenue in Granite City, Illinois. (CROSS REFERENCE: Also see Category INSTALLATION, Subject Area MUST KNOW ITEMS.)
MAJOR COMMAND: US Army Materiel Command (AMC)
HOURS: 0730-1700 Monday through Friday.
MISSION: The Charles Melvin Price Support Center's mission is to provide administrative, logistical and recreational support to all branches of the Armed Forces in the greater Metropolitan St. Louis area. The Price Center supports about 75 military and federal agencies and is made up of approximately 686 acres of land, maintains a total of 1.5 million square feet of enclosed warehouse space, and 685,000 square feet of open storage space for its customers. The Support Center currently is a satellite activity of the U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command (AMCOM), headquartered in Huntsville, AL.
TELEPHONE ACCESS: Contact Army Community Service, (618) 452-4260 or DSN 892-4260, for voice mail message or to obtain additional telephone numbers for program managers.
HISTORY OF THE CHARLES MELVIN PRICE SUPPORT CENTER:
Selected during World War I as the site of a major Army supply installation, the Center did not actually see use until the next world war. On 3 April 1942, construction began, and the Granite City Engineer Depot opened on 1 August 1942.
During the war, the depot grew rapidly. In July 1943 over 4,500 railroad cars of material passed through its gates. In 1944 employment reached 5,200 people. Over 1,500 officers and 2,000 enlisted men received training in engineer supply and maintenance functions at the depot.
Except for the Korean War, the two postwar decades saw a sharp drop in depot activities. On 1 August 1962, the depot received a new name -- the Granite City Army Depot -- as it shifted from the control of the Corps of Engineers to that of the US Army Materiel Command. The depot's missions, however, remained much the same until December 1966, when it assumed support missions for the Greater St. Louis Area from the deactivated US Army Support Center.
The Center underwent two more major changes in the years ahead. On 25 June 1971, the depot proper closed, its functions and spaces merging with various US Army Aviation Systems Command support services to become the Headquarters and Installation Support Activity, with a strength of 461 military and civilians. On 7 October 1975, in recognition of its increased customer service responsibilities, the Granite City element changed again, becoming the St. Louis Area Support Center (SLASC). Currently, the center supports approximately 75 military and federal agencies in the St. Louis area.
On 1 July 1988, in formal recognition of Illinois Congressman Melvin Price's contributions to our nation and its uniformed services, this historic Granite City installation was dedicated and designated as the Charles Melvin Price Support Center.