409TH BASE SUPPORT BATTALION ARMY COMMUNITY SERVICE UNIT 28130 APO AE 09114 Welcome to Grafenwoehr, Germany. Grafenwoehr is located in beautiful Bavaria, near Nuremberg. The major command is the 7th Army Training Command with the primary mission of training. There is approximately 1000 people assigned as permanent party in Grafenwoehr. The history of Grafenwoehr is quite interesting. In 1907, Prince Luitpold,regent of Bavaria, selected the area near Grafenwoehr as the place best suited for training of the Bavarian Army. Construction began in 1908 and by 1915, the reservation covered an area of 37 square miles. At 0800 hours on 30 June 1910, the first artillery round was fired. Throughout WWI, from 1914-1918, the training area was used for training andre-equipping of combat units. After the end of the war, the Berlin High Command utilized Grafenwoehr Training area for the 100,000 man German army. In 1936, Adolf Hitler came to power and in a few years the training area became too small for the fast growing German army. In 1936, it was expanded to the present size of 90 square miles. On 5 and 8 April 1945, the camp and town were subjected to an air raid conducted by the Allies. The American era began after the last German Commander of the training area surrendered to the American forces on 20 April 1945. During the first few years, only units stationed at Grafenwoehr used the training area. In 1947, the American Army reactivated the training area for unit training purposes.