410th BSB ATTN: AETF-BKR-DP-ACS APO AE 09252
Bad Kreuznach is centrally located within Germany. We are 50 minutes southwest of Frankfurt and about 35 minutes southwest of Wiesbaden and Mainz. The community is medium sized and offers a wide variety of activities to meet the needs of our military community. Bad Kreuznach is surrounded by vineyards and was built around the beautiful Nahe River valley. We look forward to meeting you and extend a warm welcome.
Location: 50 minutes southwest of Frankfurt 35 minutes south of Mainz/Wiesbaden
Major Command: HHC 1st Armored Division
Primary Weapon Systems: Tanks
Mission: Training/Combat Readiness
Annual precipitation: 9.9 inches
Population assigned-served: Active Duty Officer/Enlisted (BK/DX): Combined-approx 2650 Family Members: 2312 Civilian Employees: 354
Telephone Access: CIV 011-49-671-609-6302 or DSN 490-6302
History of Bad Kreuznach:
The city of Bad Kreuznach is located on the Nahe River at the foot of Kauzenburg Hill. For over a hundred years, the city has had a widespread reputation as a health spa. The natural springs are said to have great healing power due to high contents of salt and radium.
We first hear of Bad Kreuznach as a Celtic settlement under the name of Crucinacum. There is evidence, however, of settlements as far back as the stone age, 4,000 years ago. In 50 B.C. the first Roman Legionaries came to build a fortress near Lammerbrucke.
During the 400 years of occupation, the Romans gave the local people their monetary system, laws, progress in agriculture, administration, trade and business. As one result of the Roman influence, wine has become a major business along the Nahe River.
After the Roman occupation, the fortress became a Franconian Royal Palace, and was given, along with the city of Kreuznach, to the Bishop of Speyer. The Count von Sponheim then built a castle on Kauzenburg, along the river, to care for the needs of his nobles. This formed the medieval Neustadt. The inhabitants of the old Kreuznach began building in this direction for protection purposes. In 1241, the two towns were united by a bridge over the river, and walls were constructed around the town. The terms Altstadt and Neustadt (Old and New City), were then used only to identify the parts of the town of Kreuznach. Kreuznach remained the seat of the Sponheim dynasty until 1437, when the family died out. Following the Sponheim era, Kreuznach changed hands many times.
During the period of the Thirty Years War (1618-1648), Kreuznach was alternately French, Swedish, Spanish, and German. The town was almost completely destroyed during this time, and the population was decreased by one-third due to hunger, poverty, fires and plundering. With the Treaty of Vienna in 1815, Kreuznach became a part of Prussia.
In 1817, the mineral baths were discovered, and new life was given to the city. The area became a resort for the wealthy of Europe, due to the healing qualities of the natural baths. The name of the city was changed to Bad Kreuznach in order to take advantage of the natural baths in the area.
During the nineteenth century, Bad Kreuznach was the playground to the royal families of Europe.
During both World Wars, Bad Kreuznach was major headquarters for the German High Command. As such, many of the leading generals of the German Army were in residence in many of the resort areas, including the Kurhaus, or health resort hotel. Following the second World War, first French, and then American forces have been continually based in the city.
Bad Kreuznach is the home of the Schneider Optic Factory, whose cinematographic, photo, and projection lenses are world famous. This factory is over 100 years old, and along with another long time resident, the Seitz Machine and Filter Works, and the Michelin Tire Factory, forms the backbone of the city's industry. The other major industry of the region is the world renown wine production of Nahe Valley. There may be no finer wine in the world.