Welcome to Atlanta, the shining star of the Southeast and a very exciting place to call home. Whatever your pre-conceptions about Atlanta may be, you will be wise to throw them out the window and begin again.
Why? Because Atlanta is many things to many people. It is large enough to become exactly what you want it to be. Yet it is small enough to make life-long friends and feel a sens of community pride.
There are over 3 million people in the metro Atlant area, with nearly 500,000 living within the city limits. The fact that the metro area is comprised of so many distinct counties, municipalities and neighborhoods is surprising to some. But the result is a myriad of lifestyles, from the suburban, two-income family to the young professionals living in the heart of the city.
Both Fort McPherson and Fort Gillem are small in area, but they are giants in our country's defense picture due to the many headquarters and tenant organizations located here.
Fort McPherson, steeped in tradition and proud of its appearance and history, is a blend of the old and the new as it begins a second century of service to the nation. Fort McPherson is home to Forces Command (FORSCOM), U.S. Army Reserve Command (USARC), and Third U.S. Army.
Fort McPherson's nearest Army neighbor and sub-installation is Fort Gillem, located in nearby Forest Park. Fort Gillem is home station to First U.S. Army, U.S. Army Third Criminal Investigation Region, U.S. Army and Air Force Exchange Distribution Region and the U.S. Army Second Recruiting Brigade.
Fort McPherson and Fort Gillem share common services and morale support activities, and host many other units and activities.
Fort McPherson is located in Southwest Atlanta, approximately three miles from downtown Atlanta and eleven miles from Atlanta Hartsfield International Airport.
The installation sits on 487 acres; historic district sits on 33 acres and has 40 buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Personnel assigned to Forts McPherson and Gillem are as follows: Active Duty, 3,510; Army Reserve, 2,359; Civilians, 5,038; Retirees, 29,430; Family Members, 68,706.
For more information on how to get to Fort McPherson and Fort Gillem, look at the following category "Must Know Items."
To access Fort McPherson telephone system you should dial the following numbers: Staff Duty Officer, commercial number (404) 464-2980/3602 or DSN 367-2980/3602, for Fort McPherson information (404) 464-3113 or DSN 367-3113.
Fort McPherson was established in 1886 and became a permanent Army installation on May 4, 1889. On December 30, 1867, the post was named "McPherson Barracks" in honor of Major General James Birdseye McPherson, who was killed on July 22, 1864, during the Battle of Atlanta.
Between the years 1867 and 1881, the barracks was garrisoned in turn by elements of the 2nd, 16th, and 18th U.S. Infantry Regiments and the 5th Artillery. Their mission was to enforce Union regulations during the reconstruction period following the Civil War. The installation sits on 487 acres; historic district sits on 33 acres and has 40 building listed on the National Register of Historic Places. There are 39 segments of internal roads which have been designated in honor of distinguished military personnel; 23 from the Civil War, 11 from WWII, and two are named for distinguished General Officers. Throughout its century of service to the country, the 505-acre post was used as a general hospital during World Wars I and II, a prisoner of war camp, a training are for the Civilian Conservation Corp, and as a separation center. Today, Fort McPherson is home to Forces Command (FORSCOM) and Third United States Army.
Fort Gillem was formerly known as the Atlanta Army Depot. For the past 50+ years, Fort Gillem has worked side by side with the surrounding Clayton County community. The relationship began in 1941 when the Atlanta General Depot moved it Candler Warehouse to what is now Fort Gillem.
The depot saw many name changes as it served as trainer and supplier throughout World Ware II, the Korean Conflict, the Berlin Airlift, the Cuban Crisis and the Vietnam War. Thousands of soldiers trained at the installation's facilities, and tons of equipment destined for the war zones processed through the warehouse system.
On June 18, 1973, responsibility for the installation was transferred from Army Materiel Command to U.S. Army Forces Command, renamed Fort Gillem and made a satellite installation of Fort McPherson.
The name was selected in memory of Lieutenant General Alvan C. Gillem, Jr., who began his career as a private at Fort McPherson in 1910 and retired 40 years later as commanding general of Third U.S. Army, now headquartered at Fort McPherson.
Fort McPherson: Installation
Name : Fort McPherson
POC : Tracy L. Smith
Address : 1518 Stovall Lane SW
City : Fort McPherson
State : GA
Zip : 30330-1049
Phone : (404) 464-2498
Fax : (404) 464-2979
DSN Phone : 367-2498
DSN Fax : 367-2979
Email : email@example.com